Web design brief
Creating a web design brief provides a focus for your website and helps to identify the services you are likely to require from a web communication agency or design firm.
The following information will help us to recommend design and development services.
Describe your organisation’s:
- Mission and vision
- Services and/or products
- Key audiences
For example, list: markets, customers, clients, and stakeholders.
Peer and partner organisations
Identify other organisations that:
- Have a similar/desirable relationship model or values
- Cater to the same audiences (but may not provide the same products or services)
- Provide similar products or services
Where available, provide peer and partner organisation website addresses.
Identify what the website will ‘do’ for each key audience, for example:
Provide access to product catalogues, service promotion, reference materials, media releases, annual reports, legal and policy documents, etc.
- Provide services
E-learning, online tutorials, generate documents, etc.
- Process orders
Online transactions, credit card payment, order-tracking, etc.
- Support operational activities
Field enquiries, process applications, etc.
- Enable/support community interaction
Staff intranet, partner extranet, forums, group email, etc.
- Facilitate events
Distribute programme schedules, process bookings, etc.
Measure of success
What outcomes are desirable as a result of creating a website?
- Public awareness, search engine ranking
- Website accesses (traffic)
- Customer/client/stakeholder enquires
- Email subscriptions
- Other (please specify)
Updating your website
- How often will you need to update the content on your website?
For example: does your organisation publish a monthly newsletter, or regularly need to update product catalogues?
- Would you like to update the website yourself?
- Do you require training on how to update the website?
Web standards defined
Find out about web standards and standards-related considerations.
- Are there any technical standard requirements?
See sidebar: ‘Web standards defined’.
- Indicative project budget
We’re happy to tailor our services to fit your budget.
Include key dates, for example: proposal due date, selection/evaluation processes and website launch date.
Please provide your name and contact details, including a daytime phone number.
Below is a version of the brief that you can download and type into using a word processing program (such as Microsoft Word).
Motive Web Design Brief (Word)
To arrange a meeting to discuss your brief, please contact Andy Kirkwood.